Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Julia's First Atlanta Trip & Princess Diana Exhibit

Julia, Michael & I headed out about 8:00 this morning to meet Brock, Amy & Gale in Auburn and continue on to Atlanta. We got to Auburn about 10:00, fed Julia while we waited for the Mathews & made it to Atlanta about 2:30. After getting settled in the hotel we made our way to the Atlanta Civic Center for the Diana: A Celebration exhibit. Anybody who knows me knows how much I love Princess Diana so I was extremely excited about this. Michael was a good sport & insisted on taking care of Julia when she got fussy so I could soak it all up. Did I mention that I was the very last person out of the exhibit? We got there about 4:00 & were told that it would be a 2 hour wait to get into the exhibit but it was only about an hour. The tickets were sold out though, so I'm glad I purchased them online that morning! While we were standing in line one of the workers gave the line a riddle & said whoever could figure it out would get a free audio tour. Michael figured it out so we all got free audio tours! I wouldn't have paid for it (they usually bore me) but I was glad to have this one. It took us about 2 hours to get through the exhibit. At 6:55 they started turning out the lights & I politely explained to the security guard that I paid full price for my ticket & I was there at 4:00, which I thought was a reasonable amount of time to see the exhibit before they closed, but I had 2 more dresses to look at & I would greatly appreciate it if they turned the lights back on. The lights came back on, I looked at the last 2 dresses, I thanked the security guard & we were on our way to dinner!

After driving around Midtown looking for someplace to eat we decided to try Mary Mac's Tea Room. Apparently it was featured on the travel channel & everyone from Richard Gere to the Dalai Lama has eaten there. It is "home-cooked" southern food with cinnamon rolls that rival the EHS lunchroom cinnamon rolls! I bought their cookbook in hopes of trying to make them one day. Maybe by the time Julia comes home for the weekend from college I'll have time to make them!

Now we're back at the hotel room hanging out with Brock & Amy while Julia sleeps & Gale plays on the bed. In the morning we're going to the World of Coke & heading back home!


I think our luggage load improved a little bit from the beach!


Waiting to see all the pretty dresses


I snuck a picture of Princess Diana's wedding dress on my phone

The back - the detail work on the train was incredible

Soaking it all in!


Michael listing to his audiotour. I think he kinda regretted winning them because it took us longer to get through the exhibit with them. I enjoyed it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment